Asia maintains high telemedicine usage in 2022 | Healthcare Asia Magazine
Photo by Anna Shvets:

Asia maintains high telemedicine usage in 2022

Digital native apps led in Asia where private insurance coverage in some markets is low.

Telemedicine apps, a key catalyst for digital healthcare adoption in Asia that saw a surge in usage during the COVID-19 pandemic, have retained high usage levels throughout 2022, staying well above 2020 levels, said a report from Bain.

The average monthly active app users reached 257 in 2022, which was even higher than 213 in 2021, based on data from Bain.

Digital native companies took up 80% of monthly active app users in 2022, while the remaining 20% were served by provider-owned apps. But the provider-owned apps have expanded its share of users from 7% in 2020.

READ MORE: Apollo Hospitals collaborate with UAE-based hospital in telemedicine

“Digital-native companies continue to lead the telemedicine market in Asia, though provider-owned apps have recently started gaining share. Traditional healthcare providers have the advantage of offering digital and in-person services to an existing, trusting patient base,” the report stated.

But telemedicine adoption may have significantly more headroom in some countries. Usage in Malaysia, Thailand, and the Philippines, whilst fast-growing, considerably lags usage in Singapore, India, and Indonesia, the report noted.

In mature healthcare markets, such as the United States and Europe, service providers have scaled up digital health services in the existing business-to-business (B2B) ecosystem.

In emerging Asian markets, where private health insurance coverage remains low, and private provider groups are fragmented, digital natives have been able to play a more meaningful role, the report noted.

To capture the opportunity, both providers and digital natives can offer a wide range of end-to-end services across digital and in-person care, Bain said.

“Digital natives can establish themselves as a first touchpoint of care through telemedicine apps. And providers can, and should, invest aggressively in digital capabilities to deliver more holistic access to care,” the report stated.

Follow the link for more news on

Join Healthcare Asia Magazine community
Since you're here...

...there are many ways you can work with us to advertise your company and connect to your customers. Our team can help you dight and create an advertising campaign, in print and digital, on this website and in print magazine.

We can also organize a real life or digital event for you and find thought leader speakers as well as industry leaders, who could be your potential partners, to join the event. We also run some awards programmes which give you an opportunity to be recognized for your achievements during the year and you can join this as a participant or a sponsor.

Let us help you drive your business forward with a good partnership!


HOSPITAL TOUR: Makati Medical Center’s OSS relieves ER and surgical room congestion
Its outpatient surgical suite (OSS) offers a short-term stay in the hospital where billing and doctors are available for easier patient flow.
This startup helps hospitals treat stroke patients quickly
Hopebotics’ device transfers stroke patients’ therapy at home whilst hospitals monitor the progress remotely.
AI-powered healthcare intel to enhance treatment priorities in Malaysia
The Malaysia Healthcare Travel Council is working with industry players to look at the best practices for AI.